Thursday, October 4, 2012

Listening to your body

Last night was pretty frustrating.  Although I made it to Silent Lunch and chatted with my friends there, by the  time we were done I had a roaring headache and tinnitus in my right ear that sounded like I was carrying around a boom box on my shoulder.  80s represent!

I spent the rest of the day in bed, too uncomfortable to read, surf the net, or do things around the house.  I most missed my daily walk, but even sitting up in bed was really taxing.  I decided to skip dinner, since I just wasn't hungry enough to make the effort worthwhile.  Usually I'd say skipping meals is a no-no, but in this case I feel like it was the right choice.

It's really frustrating for me to be this incapacitated.  Although I've had enough medical problems that some people have written me off as a hypochondriac, one of the best discoveries of my adult life was how much I enjoyed being able to work and move- to go for runs and clean the house and live my life.  As a teenager, I wasn't so appreciative of that, but being knocked down and having my chest sat on by depression, fibromyalgia and other problems really brought out how good it was to be healthy and to make the most of that.

Anyway, I'm calling my neurologist back and asking for medication- he emphasized weight loss, which is a solid treatment for me in this particular case, but there is no reason I should be experiencing this much pain while I'm losing weight.  I know he wouldn't treat a thin person in this way- Dances With Fat has a great take on this- and while I feel pretty sure that I can lose the weight and keep it off, I don't think it's unfair to ask for the medication that will help me now.

This is a terrible food blog- I only wrote to talk about not eating!  But soon we'll be back to our normal programming: I'm making dinner for a friend tonight.  More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment