Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Chili!

So yesterday I made an industrial-size vat of chili.  I designed this chili recipe when I was trying to cope with chronic gastritis- so the original version has no tomatoes or spice. (Hardly chili at all, amirite?!)  I've become very fond of this recipe over the years, though, and I thought I'd share the recipe today.  It's a great way to disguise organ meats(mmm nutrients!) and also veggie heavy, so it packs a nutritional punch.

2 lb ground beef
1 lb turkey
2 cans pinto beans(rinsed)
2 cans kidney beans(rinsed)
2 onions
2 sweet peppers
8 oz mushrooms
3 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 tsp bacon grease
Marrow from two beef bones

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Roast marrow bones for 20 minutes.

Sautee mushrooms in bacon grease.
Chop veggies and mushrooms and puree.
Brown meat.
Mix meat, bone marrow, beans and pureed veggies in crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours.


If you want to spice your chili, 1 Tbsp cumin and 1 Tbsp cayenne should be a good start.  I also ended up adding a can of tomato paste yesterday, for the heck of it, but this chili doesn't really need it.  I love chili because it is an awesome place to play with different proportions of meat, beans and veggies, as well as try new things- like liver, heart, or tongue.

How do you like your chili?


No comments:

Post a Comment