Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Banana ice cream!

I have discovered a newfound love for fruit.  Clementines?  Delicious!  Grapes?  I will eat all your grapes.  Apples?  Can't get enough!  Although I'm still using Splenda(mostly for chai), most of my sweetness comes from fruit.  This is going to sound especially strange to people who knew me back when I was still picky as hell.  I had a knock-down drag-out battle of wills with my mother over eating a peach once.  I finally took a bite and then threw it up.  I was 13.

Anyway, thank goodness I came to my senses.  One of the reasons I chose to do Paleo-ish was that I knew that including all whole fruits and vegetables would really increase the variety in my diet- one of the things I got sick of with Atkins was the unvarying mouthfeel, almost always the smoothness of fat and protein and the occasional crunch of lettuce or nuts.  Not to mention the health benefits!

I'm not one of these people who wants to replicate grain or sugar-based recipes with Paleo ingredients.  I'm not opposed to trying "Paleo" waffles once in a while*, but in my mind, it's better to focus on whole foods and not "faking it".  Plus, the sheer amount of honey and maple syrup used is pretty ridiculous.

* Although those do look incredibly tasty!

Anyway, aside from that caveat, I do enjoy finding new ways to enjoy some of the things from my old life.  Something had been nagging at me for a while, and I finally realized- it was a silly infomercial I saw years ago:



Now, I don't appreciate the fat-shaming or the mention of "superfoods", and this totally belongs on Unclutterer's Unitasker Wednesday, but I think it's a great idea!  A food processor would work just as well- it's too bad mine just died.  But I love bananas, and there are so many things you could add in:
  • Berries
  • Peaches
  • Mangoes
  • Pineapple
  • Pears
  • Melon
  • Coconut milk/shredded coconut
  • Chocolate
  • Vanilla
  • Peanut butter
  • Other nut butters or meal- hazelnut would be awesome, but so would macadamia nut, almond, cashew...

Here's a simple recipe if you want to try it out.

Doesn't it seem like a blast? I'm going to give it a try and report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment